Stock wheels hub-centric... why coned lugs?

Oddball categories that are too big in their own scope to fit anyplace else. (like Wheels).

Stock wheels hub-centric... why coned lugs?

Postby Trinten » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Okay, so I've read in a few places that our stock wheels are hub-centric, they fight right to the hubs diameter (51mm or something like that, The Ogre posted it), so many people say that they are technically hub-centric, and something to keep in mind. In another thread he was talking about the Grand Am brake upgrade kit, and how the rotors have a different hub size, so was letting folks know if they have shimmy/wobble vibration, they might want to try to find a sleeving solution to fill in that gap around the hub.

But he and others also talk about the wheels having coned lugs, and how that's a feature normally found on lug-centric wheels...

Soooo... which one is the right one? Or are the rotors hub centric and the wheels lug-centric?

Just stuff I need to keep in mind/figure out for when I do my brake upgrades (still planning on the LeBaron setup with the Wilwood calipers), and eventually get my wheels.

(On the upside, Volk has some 17" forged wheels that are even lighter than the ones I was looking at before! And there's still BBS with their completely custom forged magnesium wheels if I don't mind ponying up in a big way)
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Re: Stock wheels hub-centric... why coned lugs?

Postby Red86GT » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm not fully versed on the Hub Centric details but I know I had to get hub centric rings for my new xxr rims.
Red86GT

Re: Stock wheels hub-centric... why coned lugs?

Postby Fierofool » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:10 am

Nothing to back this up, but it's just my theory, so take it at that.

All rims are lug centric. Even old style steel wheels have a tapered lug hole shoulder that the lug nut centers on. Uni-Lug wheels that have a round shoulder usually center the wheels by use of an insert plate that locates the wheel for the lug spacing. I've used old 14 inch Grand Am FWD wheels of the Fiero style without any problems, but I never took the center caps off to see if the bore was the same. I only assumed they were.

If the center bore of the wheel is larger than the hub shoulder, there is some sheer force put onto the lugs. I don't know how much more, or if it's a problem, even with some spirited driving, but because all cars out of the factory have matching hub and wheel bore diameters, there's a reason. I'd suggest that if you can't locate a set of correct hub-centric rings, that you have the wheels bored to a size of available rings, or have a machine shop turn a custom set for you.
Love my Fieros, S-curves and speed.
It's what driving was meant to be.

Participating in a gun buy-back program to prevent crime is like having yourself sterilized because your neighbor has too many kids. Author Unknown.
Fierofool

Return to Misc.