[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
N.C. Fiero • View topic - wheel/Tires and 86 stock rear suspension

wheel/Tires and 86 stock rear suspension

wheel/Tires and 86 stock rear suspension

Postby Red86GT » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Figured since this is also about my stock rear suspension I would put it here. (86Gt with a 3.4 conversion)

I just got 17x8.25 xxr 530 "intense" rims with a 35mm offset for the rear. I would like to put 245/40 or 45/17s on the rims. Has been too cold to do any fitting tests. The rims look wider than I thought and with a tire the size will be wider in the wheel well.

Will 245/40 or 45/17s on a 17x8.25 rim with a 35mm offset fit an 86gt rear end with stock suspension?

Thanks ahead of time and sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Red86GT

Re: wheel/Tires and 86 stock rear suspension

Postby Drew-py » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:39 pm

I have a 17 X 7 with 35 mm offset and my 245/45/17's fit just fine with about an inch till the spring perch you have a rim that is going to be a bit closer however should also fit. Chug was telling me about a car he saw with 255/40/18 with 38 offset a chopped perch for coil overs and he believes it to have been a 8.5 rim with just enough room to be not concerned.
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby soccer03boy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:48 am

I have 18x7.5 with some 225/40/18 tires and have had no issues with the stock suspension. Never even hit the wheel well on speed bumps or dips in the road. It also has enough space not to rub any of the suspension beside them.
soccer03boy

Postby Drew-py » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Drew-py

Postby Red86GT » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks for the very helpful replies guys! It definitely helps me out!

Sorry for my slow reply....I was dealing with the weather aftermath.
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:34 pm

This chart has been very helpful to people, but take it with a grain of salt:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058236.html

The reason why I say that is because a Fiero owner over there is running 17x8 wheels with a +32 offset, which eyeballing the chart from that thread, seemed to indicate to me that they'd stick out from the fender well a little, but the owner sent me pics and shows clearly that they don't.

Overall though, still a very helpful chart (once you get the hang of it) for getting a rough idea of what'll fit!
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Yea I found that chart too. Thanks though! :D

I don't mind a bit of tire sticking out from the fender. I feel it adds a touch of aggresion to the stance but I know everyone has personal views on tire fitment.

It is the 35 offset with the 8.25 rim in the rear then with a tire on it making contact with the stock strut I was worried about. I just can't afford coil overs yet and don't have tools to fab any up.

I read a lot before purchasing and thought I was good til I saw how wide the rim was and got a bit concerned. From everyones comments I think I am ok. I am gonna try to do a test fit this weekend. I will post pics.
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:18 pm

If you have the tools and patience, you can do rear coil overs yourself without much expense.

The trick is buying springs that'll fit over your shock of choice, then in many cases, altering the shock a bit. EMC209i did mine, modifying the shock with a cut-off wheel and grinder (and then I sprayed the shocks).

I think the parts cost for my setup was around 200 bucks. So just a thought, but if you already got the wheels and they fit in the rear without any rubbing (especially if you hit a pothole) then awesome!
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Chris at West Coast Fiero sells coil over kits for stock strut $220 later yours are in the mail and just cut back the perch to your liking. I am likely to get mine this return to spring weather.
Drew-py

Postby Red86GT » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:14 pm

So you don't know what you don't know til you realize you wish you would have known it :?

Stock 15 inch rim and tire:

New Rim......Hmmmm that seems kinda wide?

Lets do a side by side.

Stock Fiero 15 inch rim and tire at bottom of stock strut spring perch.

New rim with centric ring to bottom of stock sturt spring perch.

The stock rim sits just outside the bottom edge of the perch. The new rim sits just ever so under the edge of the perch. I think I might get lucky and fit a 225/40/17 with maybe a 1/4 inch space?

The section of the strut from the perch to the axle doesn't move so with even a 1/4 inch or less space I should be fine.......right?

My rims are 8.25 inside but edge to edge they are 9.25. "This would have been good to know yesterday!"....Happy Gilmore quote...sorta :lol:

So I am gonna go by a tire shop who said they would mount one tire to do a test fit to see how much room I have before I buy tires......or sell a perfect condition set of new rims! Unless you guys think I will be fine?

I want to get coil overs, eventually, but saving even that amount would take me two months (i get paid bi-monthly). I been saving over 6 months for the rims and they were wicked discounted. I got this size (8.25) becuase from everything I read they would fit without having to modifiy the suspension, with either of the two tires sizes I mentioned in the beginning of the thread.

Cutting the perch seems like something I could definitely screwup and have a spring go fly out at mach five at the fist speed bump creating a tire bomb that would then create a cascade of automotive carnage ending with me at the bottom of a cold river trapped upside down and on fire being eaten alive by displaced amazoning river pirhanna. :shock: :lol:

That being said if it is possible to cut the perch without compromising its integrity (I have a grinder/ wheel) I will go at it.
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks for the detailed pictures of everything - that's a really tough position you're in.

I wouldn't try to cut the perch, out of fear of that snapping off/cascade of bad things issues. But that's just me.

So you said your wheels are either 8.25 wide or 9.25 depending on where you measured them, so I'm guessing they're "listed" as 9.25? Like if someone were shopping for your wheels, which number would they put in?

I'm asking so I can do a little more searching and see if others have gotten similar width wheels on with the stock suspension, and what the offset was.

Worst case - hang onto the wheels for right now (for a few months) till you can get the rear coilovers done, then do the test fit! Might as well get every "plus" in your corner before you eat up that favor with the tire shop.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 pm

They were listed as 8.25 so I figured I was good.

I read a lot of posts of guys with coil overs and not with coil overs and what rim tire combos they had etc. but no one mentioned that a rim that says 8.25 is not the actual true width. Some said they had really close fitment though.

I have been studying the pics I took and think a 225/40 will fit since the edge of the tire slopes in at the top. Also I may just wait to get coil overs because my right strut camber adjustment is out of wack. The tab that the oval washer on the adjustment bolt presses against is messed up and doesn't allow enough push away for the camber to get set properly. I am getting too much tire wear on the outside of my right tire. I think too many attempted alignments messed it up.

Just found this pic and info on pennocks:

"Below is a picture of the clearance I have with 18X9 245/40R18s on the stock rear during a test fit. You could probably clear a 255/40 with some sanding. I initially wanted 265s but the 245s look just right. If you have a stock 2.8L I'd also be concerned about the added weight of the tire and wheel package. 38mm offset."

That is with a 38 offset above so maybe I will be about the same closeness with my 8.25 with 35 offset with 225/40/17s.
Red86GT

Postby Red86GT » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:59 am

So after much thought, more reading and everyones suggestions I have decided to wait on getting tires. I am going to get coil overs then there won't be an issue with width for these rims.

Thanks for all the help!! :)
Red86GT

Postby Red86GT » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:23 pm

So I found a great set of tires for a great price and thought I might as wheel get them since I will be swapping out the stock sturts for coil-overs after my above rim test fit looked like there isn't enough room for new rubber. Once I got the tires I could not resist get them mounted on the rims. Of course once mounted I thought let me just see how bad they rub......well.....I was plesantly surprised to see I could fit the new rims with tires with not rub on the strut!

Stock rear rim and tire gap to strut:

XXR 530 intense 8.25x17 rim (35mm offset) with 235/45/17 fusion tires on rear gap to strut:

I think I probably could have fit 245s. Oh well when I swap in the coil overs I will probably get 245s or 255s on the rear.

Here are a couple shots of the hub centric ring and how it goes on the rim for anyone who doesn't know what a hub centric ring looks like etc:

Here is a shot with the new rims.....can"t wait til I lower her a few inches!

Old rims:
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Looks really nice man!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks!! Can't wait to lower it!! :D
Red86GT

Postby Drew-py » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:40 pm

only thing about lowering is keep in mind the axle deflection to much negative and things tend to snap like the tri-pot/tri-pod when placed under higher pony power I busted mine at the track. so now I only street launch and let the motor make up for it down the way
Drew-py

Postby Red86GT » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Thats a really good point Drew-py.......I will keep that in mind!
Red86GT

Postby codyvette » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:32 am

Are your front wheels the same size as the rear wheels?
codyvette

Postby Chug » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm not to sure how often he is on here anymore, but I'm pretty sure that the wheels are the same size. The 88 you would have to stagger the offset.

Chug
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Postby Trinten » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Yeah, Red was last on in November, you could send him a PM, depending on his settings, it'll send him an email.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Sorry all....I dropped off the radar.

My wheels are different widths in front and back. I will have to find the actual dims if someone wants to them.
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Hey you're back, that's the good part!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Yea some life stuff got in the way, then got into trying to create an additional revenue stream with firearms instruction. Boy that took a fair bit of my car money.

I have to tell ya that cars, women and guns will get you in the wallet... :roll: .... :lol:
Red86GT

Return to Suspension