[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
N.C. Fiero • View topic - The difference between a seat, and a place to park your ass

The difference between a seat, and a place to park your ass

The difference between a seat, and a place to park your ass

Postby CowsPatoot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:32 am

We tackled the seats in Colin's GT today (and yesterday, and the day before, but let's not go there).

We started with a set of leather and suede seats from an 86 GT...but Colin has speaker seats. So...we drew up a pattern, and Colin hand punched the holes for his speakers...284 of the damn things.

Then we installed one...and had to park it next to his original to show the difference...

After another long day, we can call this project a success...

In the end, we really only spend a day and a half on the project....and the majority of it was spent figuring out a pattern for the speaker holes, and finding a proper leather punch for it (5/64" punch, BTW...and don't use a cheap one).
CowsPatoot

Re: The difference between a seat, and a place to park your

Postby Drew-py » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

86 suedes wow those are not the most common seats out there good find, looks mo-much better
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby Kento87 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 pm

I like the originals ones, gives it more of that lived in look and feel :)
Kento87

Postby whiteandnerdy27 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:24 am

thanks Trinten for the use of your hog ring pliers. it certainly made things go a lot smoother. now to just get them broken in again and conditioned. already got the Suede brush :D
whiteandnerdy27

Postby Trinten » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 pm

No problem, glad it helped! They look good. Greg said you spent a lot of time punching out those holes but it was very much worth it.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Fierofool » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Those originals look nothing like the ones that were in the car when I sold it. There was no wear on them. No tears or wrinkles. I had slip covers on them to protect them. Looks like they got swapped out before you got it.
Love my Fieros, S-curves and speed.
It's what driving was meant to be.

Participating in a gun buy-back program to prevent crime is like having yourself sterilized because your neighbor has too many kids. Author Unknown.
Fierofool

Postby Red86GT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Very nice!
Red86GT

Postby whiteandnerdy27 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 am

these did have some simple slip covers on them but when i got it they werent really secured quite right. i kept them on but they always wound up coming up on one corner or another. so over my daily use they got slightly worse than they were when it was bought but as a whole that's pretty much how they were. the bolster was noticeably more worn because that was the side on which the cover would most frequently shift... . and yes, to answer your question, they did have the pockets. the passenger side seat back was the only part of the seats what was salvageable. the one pictured is the driver side. the foam was significantly more deteriorated on the drivers side. even the head rest needed to be beefed up on the sides and top, in order to keep the new leather from being too loose. that wear and foam deterioration on the drivers side headrest didn't look all that recent. the cloth had plenty of time to mold its self into the shape of the wrinkled up foam underneath. in the book of receipts i have, it shows the purchase of some new speakers. if those were meant for the seats, then you are likely correct in saying that they were swapped out because the speakers in both seats were factory.
whiteandnerdy27

Postby Fierofool » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am

I never replaced the seat speakers. They were in good condition, but I did order a set of AudioBahn speakers for the front. That should have been a Crutchfield receipt if it was for the ones I bought.

Participating in a gun buy-back program to prevent crime is like having yourself sterilized because your neighbor has too many kids. Author Unknown.
Fierofool

Postby whiteandnerdy27 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:45 pm

ah, that may be it. but the ones up front rattle like crazy. it may just be the housing but they sound blown out.
whiteandnerdy27

Postby Fierofool » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 am

Pull one of them out and see if they're 75W speakers. I think they also had AudioBahn printed on the magnets. They could have been swapped out, too. They also had adapter harnesses on them that plugged into the stock speaker wire so the factory wiring didn't need to be cut.

Fierofool

Return to Interior