[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
N.C. Fiero • View topic - Completion of the convertible interior.

Completion of the convertible interior.

Completion of the convertible interior.

Postby CowsPatoot » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:20 pm

I am illiterate, so I will be posting mainly pictures....

First, this is what the public has seen since last fall (when I redid the dash and doors):

This is what I have attempted to hide from the public:

Here is the process of removing the passenger seat...I did NOT remove those rear bolts, they tore out of the seat core. The driver side had to be cut out.

This is what I found hidden under the passenger seat. Honestly, I have been afraid to reach under that seat for a couple years now...had no idea what might bite my hand off.

Carpet also had to be cut out around seat belt bolts...this is what we found the floors to look like.

Once the carpet was out of the way, we had more room to get to the seat belt bolts. They were rusted too badly to get with the T50...but came out pretty easy with a small pipe wrench. That was quite a relief....I really didn't want to rebuild seat belt mounts.

Here it is after the metal repair...

Some closeup examples of the metal repair...

I didn't do the metal repair....I took it to Alloy Welding here in Wilkesboro. I highly recommend these guys. This is an example of their "quick" job, not their "good" job. I dropped the car off around 11am Monday, and was woken up Tuesday morning with a phone call saying it was ready.

Once the interior was apart, we were able to see under the B-pillar caps a little. We were pleasantly surprised to find a brace under them in just the right position to attach a shoulder belt to...we we are getting proper seat belts out of this deal as well (note the cheap lap belts in the before pics).

Next...paint and undercoat the floor....drill holes in B-pillar for shoulder belts....install new carpet (without the wool insulation that retains water) and seats...button it up, and take it to the 30th. Should be dry tomorrow, so you should see updates.
Last edited by CowsPatoot on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowsPatoot

Re: Completion of the convertible interior.

Postby CowsPatoot » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:40 pm

A couple teaser pics to show you what is coming in the next couple days...

New speakers all the way around. Lanzar 4x10 3 ways up front, and two sets of Lanzar 3.5" 2 ways for the seats.

Installed the seat speakers....old and new....

Seats are ready to go. They aren't perfect...but close enough. This is the last step toward upgrading to the 84 SE interior.
CowsPatoot

Postby Drew-py » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:28 pm

looks like you had your hands full getting that done. Prep'n the car up for the 30th in two weeks I see. I know the pain I have been cramming to get mine down too.
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby CowsPatoot » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 am

Yes, if it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done on this car. This was a scary one to do because I knew once I got those seats out, I was committed regardless of what can of worms I opened up.

By the time we got done today, it was dark...so no pics. Took a bit longer to prep that for paint than I thought it would....but it is painted now. Tomorrow is the undercoating to seal it (actually going with spray-on bedliner stuff...won't get soft and sticky when it warms up). We also got the holes drilled in the B-pillars for the seatbelts, along with pulling the carpet, seatbelts, and the lower door trim from the parts car. All items are cleaned to perfection (or as close to perfection as you can get these 30 year old parts)...and the glue is drying on the center console.

Only one more thing that could cause hiccups....gotta make a new panel for the upper firewall, which means I need to find some vinyl to cover it with. I thought about using the cover from the parts car, but that light gray material doesn't clean well...I suspect it won't hold up well to water...and the biggest issue, that panel doesn't actually fit flat against the firewall, which means it won't line up well with the fiberglass that is above it. But...at least I should be able to use that as a pattern.
CowsPatoot

Postby CowsPatoot » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Taking a break from the sun. Didn't bring the camera out with me...but snapped this with the cell phone. The new rear panels fit well other than the gap in the middle. I am not going to worry about it...that area is covered by the center console anyway...the old panels didn't have anything across the top at all.

Once I cool down, I will go out, put the carpet and seatbelts in, and get these things covered. From there, it is just the seats and center console and we are done.

One more note...I decided to test the wires to the rear speakers last night....figured if I needed new ones I wanted to know before I put it back together. All four were dead. I little jogged memory later....turns out when I installed the stereo a couple years ago, the seat speakers sounded like shit so I left them unhooked. It is already re-wired.
CowsPatoot

Postby CowsPatoot » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Floor, done, ready to go. I kinda regret not replacing the floor panel on the driver side...but...the time and cost would have jumped fast. I think I have it sealed well enough to stop any rust from spreading.

Final test fit of the rear panels. They will be sealed up against the rear fiberglass better than that, but that is the best fit I am going to get along the sides. Goes back to the original panel for a coupe not being as flat as it looks.

Carpet is in....seatbelt receivers are in...

Rear panels are covered and the glue is drying....(cell phone pic, color is lighter and grayer than the pic shows)

Driver seat belt is properly anchored...in previous pics, the bolt was just set in place. This was much more challenging than I anticipated. Going to be a long day tomorrow if the passenger side is as difficult as the driver side....but I think it will be easier now that I know the technique.

First thing tomorrow morning, I glue the rear panels in. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a better way to mount them than with silicone. The previous ones were mounted the same way, and I could have reused them with new silicone if I was happy with them...so I am confident that I will be able to do further work on it if I need to. I can put the other seat belt in while it dries....then it is just the center console, couple trim pieces, seats, and it is done.
CowsPatoot

Postby CowsPatoot » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Cooling down again....Passenger side needs a seat, and it is ready to go. Driver side still needs trim.

CowsPatoot

Postby Drew-py » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:54 pm

looking real sharp cant wait to see it and all the group from that area again in about 5 days. I will be arriving on Wed now because the group that is passing through St Louis choose to do so then. It should be very entertaining because it is a tributary point for most of the west part of the country and based on the PFF thread it will be nearly a 100 car yes a 100 Fiero convoy.
Drew-py

Postby CowsPatoot » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Slacking on the pics today. Everything is done but the radio surround and the shift console...which have glue drying (someone screwed up the first radio surround, we won't mention names). There are a couple bugs and details to work out. I seem to have a loose connection on the back of the radio (right side comes and goes, but wiggling wires will fix it). One of my new front speakers was DOA (mids and tweets work, but not woofer), so I have one of my old ones in until I can get that sorted. And I still need to change the steering wheel.

But....we drove it today. I am shocked at the difference. I was doing this because I always felt the old interior was dirty and grungy...so I was looking for the feel more than the look. What surprised me is how much more solid the entire car feels. 95% of my squeaks and rattles are gone. I can actually sit in a proper driving position. The seat belts feel great. It is like I am driving a different car. And....the driver side was always the better side before...I can't imagine how much more comfortable it is to the passenger.
CowsPatoot

Postby whiteandnerdy27 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:43 am

i can definitely confirm that night and day difference. any time we hit a hard curve or even a bump in the road i was amazed that i didnt fall out of the car. also getting out, the seat didnt try to come with me. it actually stayed bolted down! and on top of it all, real seatbelts that are more than just vaguely cosmetic straps of instant death. over all, it is really a great improvement.
whiteandnerdy27

Postby CowsPatoot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Other than using a Magic Eraser on the A-pillars and doors, we are done.
CowsPatoot

Postby Drew-py » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:38 pm

the projects are never done, you just move on the the next order of business :lol:
Drew-py

Postby Thaidon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:43 pm

:) preach...
You can't make stupid beautiful...
Thaidon

Postby Red86GT » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Very nice!
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 pm

1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Return to Interior