:( Burned down Fiero, I-40 Westbound.

Saw another Fiero, or fellow member?

:( Burned down Fiero, I-40 Westbound.

Postby Trinten » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Saturday on the way out to Jacksonville, we saw a Fiero going westbound. Sunday on the drive back, we saw the remains of a Fiero sitting on the shoulder of I-40 west, burned down to the frame. No visible body panels were left, though I only had a moment to glance at it, and clearly saw there was no rear-clip to speak of, and the door skin was gone (saw the reinforcement metal in the door).

Only did a cursory check, but couldn't find anything about it in the news, guessing the driver was okay.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Re: :( Burned down Fiero, I-40 Westbound.

Postby Chug » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:25 pm

was there anything that had any color on it? There are a few here in J-vile and being mostly marines they do alot of travelling out I40 and I may know the car by color.
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Postby CowsPatoot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:59 pm

All we could see were charred remains of body panels....so if we had to call a color, it would be black. There were enough of the taillights left to see that it was a notchie...but that is about the extent of what we could see.
CowsPatoot

Postby Trinten » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

This was out in the Cary/Raleigh area, it was about a mile from the RDU airport exit. So hopefully wasn't anyone you know.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Was there ever an official answer to the Fiero = Fire issue? I've heard from outside sources that the wiring was at fault. GM once said (iirc) that the problem was low oil related. Maybe the owners manual was wrong or something. That doesn't make sense however. Cars without oil overheat and seize, not flame up.
Marshall-
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby Trinten » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:31 am

Here's the info on the Fiero fire issues, explains the low oil relationship to the problem (and as posted in another thread, it was discovered that the owners manual had the amount of required oil printed incorrectly, it was a lower number than it should have been).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fi ... reputation

Never did find out who's Fiero it was I saw that day.
Trinten
Site Admin

Return to Spotted!