2014 Summer meet

Discussion for meetings, cookouts, parties, etc.

2014 Summer meet

Postby CowsPatoot » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:11 am

I would like to suggest doing the summer meet up near us this next year. I propose a barbecue at Sharon's house and a drive on the wonderful roads we have in the area. Limited sleeping space is available at my house and Sharon's house (4 miles apart). I have a guest bedroom with a double bed and a single bunk, plus couch space....I think Sharon has a spare bedroom and couch space (feel free to stake your claims if we are doing this).

Here is an example of some of the roads we would drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcfCM_Lxrmo

Yes, there are 42 minutes of curves in that video. The video starts slow, but by the time you are 5 minutes into it you should be hooked. Other than about 30 seconds of 25mph zone in the middle (25:50-26:20), the rest of the video is all 55 mph zone...so we are mostly legal here. The first road in that video has been newly repaved, and with it's lack of traffic it has reached legendary status. The second section is equally legendary, and is a perfect complement to the first section competing the loop. The third section that is in the dark here may or may not be in the run we plan....the complimentary road for the loop is in rough shape. If we do this, I am pretty sure we will get people from Georgia to join us (we know Darrell will come, most likely others as well), and I think we could easily attract some of the East TN guys and possibly others.

So...should we continue more scouting to set up a complete tour? What date should we set? I am interested in setting a date early and sticking to it...this run is worth planning for.
CowsPatoot

Re: 2014 Summer meet

Postby Trinten » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Sounds like a good idea. We should try to plan backwards as far as dates go - when you say summer, do you mean sometime in June/July/August?

Any events going on then that other Fiero members would be going to? Stuff that happens every year? If anyone can think of one, pipe in so we can rule those dates out.

Heard the tires squealing to keep hold around 6:20 - if everyone's going to be driving like that, you guys can find me at the back of the pack, going nice and easy. lol Do not trust my driving skills enough to go through turns like that on a live road. I'll wind up losing the back end.

Give me a straight stretch of road with high visibility though and we can have some fun!

Either way, since my Fiero will be long since be back by this time, and I don't plan on having it down again for upgrades in 2014, I'm up for it.

I also call dibs on Greg's couch.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby CowsPatoot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

July and August seem to be surprisingly void of gatherings. We get into June and we will be competing with the Dells. My biggest concern is that we don't get too close to RFTH (3rd week of Sep) since that is a very similar run and will attract a lot of the same people.

What about the 5th of July? The 4th is on Friday, and we could do this on the 5th. Would we get more participation because so many are off on the 4th....or would we get less because we are competing with other holiday plans?

If that doesn't work...my other suggestion is the 19th of July....simply because it feels like it would be a dead weekend if we don't make plans, and it would be a full 2 months before the RFTH.
CowsPatoot

Postby Trinten » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Sounds like a good plan!
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Return to Events