mason dixon track

Post up links to your track videos, time slips, kill stories, etc.

mason dixon track

Postby Trinten » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:59 am

Well.... Got into the 12s... And broke axle tripod. CP is picking me up with trailer tomorrow. Will post more later.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Re: mason dixon track

Postby Trinten » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Okay, Mason Dixon Dragway - 550 ft above sea level. Todays track conditions (we had the track from 8a till noon). Temp was in the high 70s/low 80s, humidity around 60% the whole day.

And I really. REALLY need to get better at learning how much throttle I can use to avoid wheelhop/spin, without losing potential.

Most of my runs were all over the place in all the marked categories, a few people looking at my slips were like "Dude, you need to learn how to control your car." Yes. Thank you. By 3rd I could hammer it without any slippage, which is good. And no idea if my clutch slipped at all or if it was my wheels spinning at times - can't really hear the tires over the engine/exhaust.

Instead of typing up all the stuff on these slips, I'll just scan them when I get home and get them put up.

The good news is, the parents of the man this event is named after, had trailered their sons car to the event "just in case someone needs it." Also thankfully, they live in Charlotte. I didn't realize Joel's car was streetable/legal (didn't know how much more work his dad had put into it after Joel passed away). So it's now strapped to their trailer, and they'll follow us back to our place tomorrow. His trailer is pretty slick, besides a winch, it slides back/down, becoming it's own ramp.

When the axle snapped, I was able to baby it back to where we parked, but it wouldn't move under it's own power from there, and I wasn't going to push my luck with putting more power through it to do so. A bunch of guys gladly came over to help push it around to get it on the trailer. That's the great part of this particular group of people who get together for this memorial meet, it's like an extended family. Guys bring spare parts and things are getting fixed right there if/when they break. Downside is, it's a (mostly) MN-12 (T-birds, cougars) club, so no Pontiac guys... especially no Fiero. lol. I was able to "join in" because I used to have a T-bird many years ago and am I'm good terms with these guys.

CowsPatoot thinks I just broke the tripod. I know Drive Shaft Shop has beefed up axles for the Fiero, but are the tripods beefed too?
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Got home about an hour ago. Finished unpacking. Long day and dead tired, so just a quick update - won my first award for the Fiero. "Quickest True Street Tire" ("True" was put on the award to rule out drag radials).

Going to bed, picture of trophy and scan of slips will hopefully be tomorrow when I get home from work.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby CowsPatoot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 am

Nice...don't forget to add the slip to the 1/4 mile thread at PFF.
CowsPatoot

Time slips!

Postby Trinten » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 am

So here are four of my slips. I didn't bother with the one from my first run, because it was terrible (I thought the 1/4 mile ended at the time/speed signs... so I let up... and then I see the white markers on the strip... oh well). My vehicle number was 16.

What's crazy is how my MPH was higher on some of my slower runs - I guess it's partly because of my reaction time, and how I was learning how to manage the wheel-spin.

Best time of the day (and last run before I killed the tripod) - 12.658 @ 108.99

Picture of my trophy will have to come later - need to find a USB cable to connect to my phone.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Chug » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:45 pm

That 1.87 60' is what you are looking for, those 2.1/2.2 says that you were either spinning tire or slipping the clutch.

The E/T to MPH tells me that you can launch that car a whole lot harder than that, you are making up more on the big end and sand bagging on the little end. My Camaro ran 2.0 60' 13.27 @ 104, you can see there that my speed is slower, that's because I was coming off the line stronger. That was a car that dyno-ed at 287hp 305tq at 4200lbs

Work on your 1/8 mile race, primarily you need to concentrate on your launches and get those consistently in the 1.8x or better range and the E/Ts will get better on their own!!

Good looking times though, gonna have to put you against the "Drew-Py"!!!!
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Postby Trinten » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:54 pm

I think he'd probably still beat me pretty good. When I raced against my roomie and his supercharged Thunderbird, he would pretty much kick my ass off the line every time, and I'd edge him out in the last tiny part of the track. And that's a much heavier car.

I was told that 1.8 was about the best I could expect to do with the manual (or with the manual and being on street tires). After the fuel injection swap and brake upgrade is done, think I'm going to get my hands on the smallest diameter, lightest slick wheels I can fit on there properly, so I can get slicks with a nice big sidewall (put the coil overs to work and push the rear end up some), so the sidewall can "twist" and absorb some of the shock, plus will hopefully let me launch a little harder.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm

went to track Friday Oct 12 just to see if i could not break the car for once and succeeded however I was scared to launch and shifted the same and ran bad times of 13.9 and 13.7 so for now I kneel before you. Something to think about is the axle deflection that is what breaks our tri-pods.
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Return to The Race Track