Clutchnet ( clutchnet.com )

Dedicated threads to vendor feedback, good and bad. Bad feedback comes easily, let's make sure to do good feedback!
Forum rules
If it is negative feedback and involves an ongoing "Saga", you can start a new thread detailing it. A synopsis can be put into the appropriate vendor thread when the issue is settled.

Clutchnet ( clutchnet.com )

Postby Trinten » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Back in 2010 I had ordered from Clutchnet. When I first called, I talked to a sales person who was rather rude, and after discussing what I had versus what I needed, he basically brushed me off and told me to go (back to) Centerforce.

Well I wasn't going to let that stand. So I sent an email to Clutchnet and Oleg replied, apologizing for the rudeness and asked me to call him. I did, he apologized over the phone, we discussed my order, went over things from the website, and I placed my order via the website. It showed up in short order.

When it went down for it's recent upgrades, FieroGuru suggested I replace the clutch, since we couldn't find out how much pad was left on the clutch. So I ordered the exact same clutch after a phone call to Oleg (they had updated their website and I wanted to make sure I was getting the same thing, since it didn't seem to slip - to the best of my knowledge).

He took my order over the phone, and after some confusion confirmed it was going to go to FieroGuru. It arrived a about 10 days later than promised, after a few emails back and forth about it (they were concerned about making sure they had the right info so it would fit in my application).

When it arrived, FieroGuru said there was no pressure plate. This was my fault, when he said 'clutch', I assumed just the clutch, not the clutch and PP as a unit. So I called Oleg, ordered the pressure plate. He told me it would take 5 days to build (was not a stock part), and about 3 days for it to reach FieroGuru.

Almost two weeks later, no luck. I called on November 11th, and Oleg told me it would ship on the 12th. As of the 26th, still had not arrived. I called on the 27th and left a voicemail. I'll be calling again on Monday.

The bottom line:

I really loved the product I got originally. The engagement was pretty smooth for being ceramic (though a bit on/off in frist gear). And again, didn't seem to slip. And back then, Oleg made it right when I first got some bad customer service.

This time, Oleg despite some communication mishaps, the original part I ordered did show up as ordered, but I'm really disappointed in what's happened with my pressure plate so far. Especially given that right now, I feel like I was lied to ("Will ship tomorrow..." two weeks later still no part).

I know I can be a bit of a tough customer, but when given an honest answer, I'll give slack. I left a voicemail on Wednesday, letting him know that I clearly knew what date I talked to him last and what he said about the ship-date... and that I'm not thrilled right now. I'll be calling him again on Monday.

I hope he makes this right, or I'll be going with another clutch the next time I need to replace it.

Pros:
Great product, especially their sprung hubs. Not as expensive as other performance clutches.

Cons:
Growing customer service issues.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Re: Clutchnet ( clutchnet.com )

Postby Chug » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:40 pm

You should talk to Drew, He called Spec and had them custom build a clutch for his application. As far as I know he hasn't had a problem with Spec. He has had 2 of them so far with a McLeod in the middle. The McLeod wasn't all what it was cracked up to be so he went back with Spec. And I want to say that it was a fairly quick turnaround to get the parts seeing is what he ordered they had to build.
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Postby Trinten » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks Chug,

I got a hold of Oleg today (just about 2 hours ago). He said he did remember speaking to me and was going to find out what happened to my pressure plate and would call me back today. He's in California, so I'm going to give him till about 3pm his time and give him another call if he hasn't reached out to me yet.

Hopefully I won't have to take any other measures other than these phone calls to get it fixed.

If things fall through here, I might give SPEC a shot - just about every clutch maker out there has their detractors, and SPEC gets a lot of bad press, but they're also very ubiquitous, so it's probably relatively the same to other clutch makers.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Spoke to Oleg again today. Pressure plate is being shipped out tomorrow. I told him he needed to call me and email me with the tracking number of the package.

He gave me a story about it having to be remade, I didn't push the issue to ask why he didn't know this and why I wasn't told about it before now.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Well Oleg has emailed me a Tracking number (it was in my inbox late Thursday night) - USPS. But as of right now there's been no other updated tracking information on it other than USPS has received/registered the tracking number.

The tracking information does say it's being shipped 2-day priority, so that's nice. If it went out with Fridays shipments, I'm expecting it here on Monday, but I'll give it till Tuesday before Oleg gets another less-than-friendly phone call (my last voicemail to him was "I haven't heard back from you or seen the tracking number yet, this is unacceptable and needs to be resolved." )

If I don't get it promptly, I'll let him know I'm going to be filing a dispute with my financial institution on the payment.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:31 pm

wow thats alot of story sorry to hear of all the issues hope it holds your new power rating you expect. as far as McLeod they pretty much sold me a bad product refused to address it with an optional fix and in my opinion flagged my name because everytime I give it we seem to get disconnected and they never have refunded the $500 cost, so I will always be happy to not recommend them even to a Honda owner. But this is my experience I have known some to receive an excellent product.
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby Trinten » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Wow! That's really lousy that they wont' even discuss it with you! Unreal.

Well, my pressure plate did show up today! Unfortunately it was shipped to me instead of FieroGuru, but I'll eat the shipping cost. Going to send it off to FieroGuru pronto.

I realized that if it was slipping, that it would have shown up as dips on the dyno chart, and that wasn't the case. The new setup is going to be dyno-tuned, so we'll be able to make sure it holds the power then.
Trinten
Site Admin

Return to Vendor Feedback