[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
N.C. Fiero • View topic - Raleigh, nc looking to pay for motor swap.

Raleigh, nc looking to pay for motor swap.

Raleigh, nc looking to pay for motor swap.

Postby logical1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Currently have a 88 2.5 -5speed. Duke blew and im looking to put anything bigger than a 2.5 back in. Even if its a carb setup its okay If anyone is interested please either post here or on pff on my topic there. Same user name or email me at the1withconnections@gmail.com
logical1

Re: Raleigh, nc looking to pay for motor swap.

Postby Chug » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Ive done some 3800 swaps. What are you looking to spend. Its not going to be cheap!
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Postby Drew-py » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:23 am

got a wire harness making platform to help out if you go with a 3800 I can build one for you and have a spare ECM thats been programmed just got to get it back from the programmer
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby logical1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:41 am

2k-3k. Is my budget. 3800sc would be ideal, but i dont know how long it would take. Defenitely looking for a fast turn around. I could pull dash and entire interior out except seats and steering wheel to speed things up but a perfect time for me would b 2-3 days. Especially if your far away that way i could get a hotel intown if im helping. Its alot a horror stories with incomplete swaps so id like to minimize my chances by asking for a time sensitive swap from square one and then factor in what i like from there. Must be bigger than 2.8 and fuel injection is ideal but a carb setup is cool too. Whatever can be done fast. Dru let me know about that harness and ecm thats definately the fiero dream the 3800sc its just a matter of can it be done quickly...

Sorry for late reply but i didnt know. I wish ncfiero could tag ur email when some1 posts. Would make it easier to keep up. Also for direct contact my email comes straight to my phone the1withconnections@gmail.com
logical1

Postby Chug » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Unfortunately $2-3000 will not get it done in 2-3 days. Good, Fast and Cheap, choose 2. If I was doing this swap for someone I'm talking $3000 for my labor if I don't have to build anything. Taking all the interior is of no help.
Here is a list of starter parts that you'll need
Flywheel $300
Exhaust $1500
Engine $500 plus a rebuild unless you want to take your chances like Drew did. Cost A LOT OF CASH in hind-site!!
Drew-Harness $500
Motor mounts (if you want fast) $300
In my experience there was $600 in everything else needed to make it run.

For that kind of money, I hate to say, you'd have to do it yourself with a little help. I'd come spend a weekend helping you get it in but you would need to have everything on site before we start.

Chug
Chug

Postby logical1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:44 am

Chug check box. Yea 3800sc looks like a dream that wont be attainded at the current moment im thinking maybe 3.4 or 4.9. Carb setup. If not fck it ill just throw another 2.5 back in, bc the 2k-3k is my max ill just find a jy 2.5 motor and do water pump seeing as those oil pumps are so hard and just drop in and wait untill i get 4k. My daughter is disa.bled so i cant risk anytime other than when my lady is off which is y i say 2days
logical1

Postby Drew-py » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:23 pm

I know of only (1) 3800 series II engine go in for the 2-3 k mark and thats because he did just about everything, costing him alot of time from his family. if you want it done so that you have something dependable with longevity expect a 5k budget. Clutch and fly wheel in my build is almost 1000 tranny build was 800, harness as Chug mentioned 500 some can cost 700 - 900. ECM' are several hundred. there is 2500 already and we haven't priced engine rebuild kits, engine/tranny mounts, exhaust and any labor fees for stuff not able to be done by you.
The car is very fun and well worth the conversion no doubt hands down, they are a good example of you get out of it what you put into. If you want cheap and fast than thats what you get a cheaply done car that will fall apart fast.

Do not be afraid to do this just be aware and prepare for what it will take. I would be building a rolling cradle set ups ready to bolt in a car if there was more of a market for it, but can't afford to create one just to have it sitting around for who knows how long waiting for a buyer.
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:55 am

I'm not sure what happened to this car. He came down a couple weeks after this thread started and I did a 2.5 swap on this car. The car looked really good but it needed a lot of work to be right. The 2.5 does this car no justice it really did need toe 3800sc2 to be correct IMO.

A couple of weeks later I seen it on C-list for $15,000 and never heard from James again, kind of dissapointing

Chug
Chug

Return to Drivetrain