NCFieroKid's (mostly) Back to Stock rebuild.

NCFieroKid's (mostly) Back to Stock rebuild.

Postby ncfierokid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 9/18/10

Wow I haven't been on here in awhile either mainly because I've been busy with the gf,school and other projects.Anyway as some of you may or may not know the gold cars 2.8 blew a headgasket and destroyed the bearings in it but the block is fine and we think the crank is fine also.I also have a thread on PFF which is located here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081791.html The 4spd out of the gold car went into my 86 SC so I have one running and driving right now :) . The 3.4 which was planned to go into the gold car will be installed into my black 86 GT. As for the gold car it has no motor/trans in it, the 2.8 is on the stand and will be getting rebuilt, I'm also buying a rebuilt 4spd from John in Asheboro. The gold car will be going back to stock but I intend to make improvements it will be getting pretty much all poly bushings,brake lines will be getting replaced,pretty much new suspension,new hoses,new paint,already got the wheels I want (the GT lace wheels) so one thing is done. I will try to post pics soon and update on here and PFF also.

lets see if I can upload some pics

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 9/29/10

Had a little bit of time today and pulled the calipers off tomorrow i'm going to start removing the front suspension

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 9/30/10

pics tomorrow i'll probably start unbolting the front suspension'

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 10/3/10

Got alot accomplished today with the car today removed front bumper,hood,headlight assemblies,removed radiator,and there's probably some things i'm forgetting but the whole front end is almost pulled apart.Tomorrow we'll see about the rest of the front suspension.I also cleaned my building to make room for more Fiero goodies lol. I'll try to get pics soon!

(Moderators note: The engine went into the shop to be rebuilt around 11/22/10. By 12/14/10 he had the front clip back on and the rear suspension back together. Front was not done yet. Suspension was back together and car was sitting on it's wheels on 12/17/10)
ncfierokid

Re: NCTyphoonKids (mostly) Back to Stock rebuild.

Postby ncfierokid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 12/20/10

Heres some pics from today! The spot on the plenum is some residue on the paint not a defect! The pic thing is acting up for me so if the pics look bad I'll repost later on tonight or they can be seen in the build thread on PFF.

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 12/21/10

This morning I got the radiator and fan reinstalled
I also got another crossover pipe which I took off the GT this morning
I also got my front upper and lower control arms back. I need to know how can I get these bushing out my buddy took them to three machine shops the first one didn't do them anymore and the second and third one wanted a ridiculous amount.Any help with trying to get these bushings out is appreciated.

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 12/24/10

The engine HAS returned!!!! Special Thanks for the engine goes out to one of my best friends Pat B. and Bob S. at Triad Engine Exchange. Words can't even describe my thanks to Pat for his help on the engine.
ncfierokid

Postby ncfierokid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 12/27/10

Got bored yesterday and put the exhaust manifolds on

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 12/28/10

Got some good news on the exhaust I've decided to reuse my original system which came on the car when it rolled off the dealer lot.I've decided to cut out the bent section and weld in another section which is what the red line is showing.
ncfierokid

Postby ncfierokid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 1/3/11

Well she's showing signs of life once again:
I'm also having some fitment issues with the stainless steel vacuem lines I got from rodney so this has prevented me from putting the upper intake on:
[img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/NCTyphoonKid/My%20Pontiac%20Fiero/005-3.

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 1/3/11

Got my vacuum line issues worked out and got the plenum back on and possibly I'm hoping to have it running again this weekend.

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 1/9/11

Last night I got my exhaust put back on the car
Engine

(need to) Install stainless steel brake lines,put calipers back on,bleed clutch,get oil,coolant, and spark plugs, prime oil pump and put the distributor in. I also need to get my struts put on. I was hoping to have the Fiero running this weekend but found a water leak around the base of thermostat so I pulled it off and went and got some gasket maker for thermostat housings and water pumps and got the housing back on. I don't know if it'll hold but we'll see.
ncfierokid

Postby ncfierokid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 1/10/11

Got my brakes put on today. I got the calipers put on, brade pads put on, and stainless steel lines put on in the cold. I still need to go to the junkyard and get some horns for the Fiero, I need to fix my headlight relay the headlight goes up but won't come down I think the relay has just got bad and I need to get a temp gauge for the dash mines never worked.. I'll probably test to see if it has any water leaks tomorrow and if that damn thermostat housing is leaking its bye bye throttle body coolant tubes :twisted: . BTW does anybody have a GT steering wheel in the correct 86-7 color and the part behind the horn button that makes the horn go off I'm not sure what it's called.

I got a leak on the clutch line I have to fix. I dunno if its the line or what? So I'll see if I can get that fixed today.

(Updated by moderator - leak was the line that goes up to the slave cylinder. He used teflon tape to fix.)

[b] Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 1/18/11

Got alternators swapped out and walked back there to see water spewing everywhere. The water pump has a crack in it so hopefully Thursday that'll be straightened out.

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 1/21/11

Got my clutch pedal adjusted today (on the RD master cylinders it has adjustable banjo so I had to adjust. I think that was my problem with the clutch not releasing right. Later on this evening I'm going to get under it and put the swaybar on along with the steering dampner and pull the upper intake off. I'm also looking into getting a rear swaybar for the car when I get some extra cash. They say putting a rear swaybar on the 84-87 Fiero really helps out with handling in the rear.

(Moderators Note: between this time an 1/30/11 he had a starting/flooding issue, and found his timing was off and needed a new ignition cylinder in the steering column).

Originally posted by NCFieroKid on 1/30/11

My buddy Pat came over today and he figured the ignition switch went bad and it was so we replaced it and now we're running again

[b](Moderators note: after this, he had replaced his alternator, and then performed some cosmetic work on the car, and swapped in horns from an 87 Firebird, but it had been running without issue).
ncfierokid

Return to Drivetrain