ATI Super Dampener

ATI Super Dampener

Postby La fiera » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Posted by La Fiera on 12/3/11 - this went into his track car, which is required to run the stock motor (sans intake), so he had to find a stock-compatible performance dampener when his exploded

Last time I was at the track my harmonic balancer came apart during the second session of the first day (NASA refunded me $100 for the next event!). Replacing it with a stock new piece was not an option because eventually the same problem could arise in the future. So, my quest for a replacement that can withstand the punishment of high rpm and really cancel those harmonic frequencies at those rpms more effectively started.
Order one from Summit, # 917090 that according to their website fits the Fiero and it is the only one listed. Well, it did not fit.
This one is a 3 ring design which is thicker.

After some measuring I sent it back for an exchange for # 917080, which Summit does not offer in their website and is a 2 ring design, thus thinner. It is good up to 8000rpm according to the representative we talked to at ATI.

Had to grind some of the support ridges and two other spots where the timing cover meets the pan and viola!

Then had to modify the pulley and make 3 holes to installed it on the damper. Test drove it and I could feel a difference on engine response and the engine feel also more stable at all rpms. For me it was worth the $400!

We will contact ATI and let them know of the clearance issues so they can make the needed machining for a perfect fit for the 2.8/3.4.

Want to know what exactly a damper does? Check out the link below:
http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/101/index.htm

Rei Moloon

La fiera

Return to Drivetrain