Website development suggestions

Updates about the board will be posted here.

Website development suggestions

Postby CowsPatoot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:07 am

Doncha love broadband? I remember the days of backing things like this up on dial-up...so much simpler in modern times.

On a side note...I think we need a full website to go along with the forums. If you are in a company meeting and make a suggestion like that, it is the same as volunteering to implement the suggestion...so, I assume I should get started on it?
CowsPatoot

Re: Board update!

Postby Trinten » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:40 am

Good suggestion, splitting it into it's own thread.

Yes the website is on my list of stuff to do. The issue hasn't so much been layout, I've got that in my mind already (even if it's not the most unique layout), the tough part is that it requires creating custom buttons. I wanted all the navigation buttons to use the Fiero font (which I have), but haven't had the time to create them.

Heck, I'm still hoping more people will chime in on the Forum appearance thread! That's why I haven't applied the new skin yet.

But essentially the website layout I had in mind, there would be a header similar to the forum, only beside the group icon, would be a picture (maybe one from RFTH) that showed a nice line of Fieros - since there's not been a big meeting for the NC guys to get all of us in one place at the same time. Though that would be awesome and would go up if that ever comes to fruition. (Maybe if I pick up the tab for food for wherever we meet would be incentive? lol)

Then the navigation bar on the right hand size would be in it's own pane, and each button would be the Fiero text button (I was thinking red on white).
Pages would include:
Forum (duh)
"About us"
"Tech articles" (so like Emc209i's transmission swap would get changed into an article, in addition to being on the forum if someone has any questions)
"Other Fiero Forums/clubs" (links to places like PFF, GAFiero)

I can't think of any other ones that would need their own page, instead of just being found in the forum, suggestions are welcome. I guess I could put up a "make a donation" thing, and any donations would go towards hosting services, and if it ever crests that, the extra money would be put into a slush fund for when we do have get togethers or something. I can't imagine a small group like ours would generate enough donations to ever break the hosting cost, but you never know.

Anyone else have any suggestions for what we should do with the website part of the site?
A "Member of the month" thing? Pictures of your ride (we know NCFieroKid has plenty for his turn :D ) and a little blurb about the owner and the car?
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Return to Board Alerts