Board picture hosting!

Updates about the board will be posted here.

Board picture hosting!

Postby Trinten » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Okay, I found a nice, seemingly easy to use mod for PHPBB3 that I'll be putting up tonight/tomorrow. It hosts pictures here on the website host. I'll drop our hosting company an email and let them know about the upcoming mod, so they'll know what's going on if there's a jump in traffic/bandwidth.

I'm not opposed to paying a little more out of pocket for hosting if we need it, but if things get insane I might have to look into other options, or put up a donate button if anyone wants to chip in for the hosting costs.

Also, found another mod that auto-resizes pictures to a pre-set max, with the ability to click on them to open them in a new window/tab in full size. Once I make sure the first mod is working, I'll install the second and see if they play nice.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Re: Board picture hosting!

Postby Trinten » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Alright, the picture mod is in place, and it even included an auto-resizer, which is nice (so I don't have to play with the second one).

I'm still working on getting a feel for how it's supposed to layout, but I did put a link to the gallery under the Photo Gallery parent forum. I also tried to test out permissions, and I think I got everything squared away, but if a few people could test it out and let me know.

See if you can delete the image I uploaded (the site logo) or upload an image to my "album". In theory, other users should not be able to do that to each other. If you find you can, please let me know so I can pick back through the permissions.

To get your album started - when you get to the gallery, click on "your personal album" and then create it. I'd ask if you could use your username as the name for your album, please. Then you can upload a photo to test it out.

Feedback welcome!

*Update - discovered that the default php.ini (on the server, not the board) is limited to 2MB uploads. I've emailed the host to see if they'd be willing to adjust that for us, bumping it up to 5MB. I know it's going to be pretty rare for any of us to be uploading pictures of that size, but I happen to hit it by way of an error when I was uploading one of my scanned dyno sheets - the resolution was high enough that it was almost 3.5 megabytes.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

I followed the directions to create an album but when I clicked on "upload an image" it says I do not have permission and to see the admin.
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Okay, so I did miss something! Thank you for letting me know. I'll tinker with it some more and post again when I think I found the issue!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:08 pm

I *think* I found the issue. I say think, because everything seemed to be working last time when I changed my permissions to a standard user for testing...

It that fails, I'll create a new account that will just be a standard registered user account so I can see whats up with this mod!

Has a lot of features, and not much documentation (but a massive forum filled with help questions, most of which seem to be answered which is good). So please excuse the learning curve.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks man! I uploaded a test photo so it is working great now! :D
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Thanks for helping me test it out again Red.

There are definitely things that this mod does "universally" regardless of what you set your permissions to. When you were in the gallery, where it (now) shows the two pictures, do you see the IP address information under the picture? Along with the album name and poster and such?

Also - important note - I have not heard back from the host about the file size being bumped up from 2 megabyte maximum. I don't know if they just haven't gotten to my request, or are seeing if they can implement it for us without doing it for everyone - they've been outstanding in their response time thus far.

Worst case scenario, we'll be stuck with the 2 megabyte size limit per picture. So... I'll need to resize some pictures at some point to restore my thread!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 pm

I do not see an IP anywhere on the public thumbnail view or in my upload and edit area.....unless I am missing it. I do see my photo URL in my private upload and edit area.

It says an image can be up to 6mb then it gave max dims of 5000 x 5000?
Red86GT

Postby Red86GT » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Just realized I can open and edit your uploaded image? I am not sure if that is a function you intended.

UPDATE.............:oops: Sorry I just read where you said anyone can access that album
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:45 am

Hey Red,

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to need to put a post up on that guys forum for this mod. The way I had tried to set the permissions is that pictures that you create in your own album should not be edit/deletable by anyone other than you (or a mod/admin). So if it gave you the option to edit/delete the picture I put up, then something isn't right someplace (then again, when I set myself to having the standard Registered User permissions, I wasn't supposed to see the IP addresses anymore either, but still did...)

This is the drawback of open source modifications...

So that'll be the next thing I tackle, and I'll post when I think I found it so you can see if you can still delete/edit my test picture.

Thanks for helping out so much with this!

*Also - can't go by what the board says the limits are for posting up a picture. While that may be the setting in the mod, when it hits the server, the server says "nope, here's the limits". It's not a #x# limit, just a filesize limit of 2 megabytes. Until further notice, anyway.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 am

Okay! Host bumped up the servers PHP ini file for us! So it should now let us upload an image that's up to 5 megabytes.

One of the pictures I uploaded... kicked out a strange string of errors, but still took the pic (though have to click on it to view it). I think it has to do with the view sizes and resizing part of the gallery. So... going to keep working through it to figure it out.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Gallery looks like it is coming along! I was able to view the pics posted by others without the "edit" option but view mine with it.

Thanks for all the work on the gallery it will be a great addition to the forum! :D
Red86GT

Postby Trinten » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks. It still needs work and tweaking to make sure everything works right. I have not had time to work on it recently. Been commuting daily to and from Charlotte, makes for a long day. Plus my laptop had not been working, so to test, I had to log out, log into the test account, try things, then flip around again - made testing tedious!

Laptop is band-aided for now... so now should have a little better time tweaking things on the weekends.

Thanks again for everyone's patience.
Trinten
Site Admin

Return to Board Alerts