The new website

Updates about the board will be posted here.

The new website

Postby CowsPatoot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:36 am

I suspect most of you are like me and have index.php bookmarked rather than http://ncfiero.com . So...if you haven't gone to ncfiero.com lately, I suggest you check out the new website.

It is certainly in its infancy. The database is working properly...so from here it is just deciding what we want on it and getting things formatted properly.

Member status. Every site has moderators, and this one will be no exception. But there are several other levels here, and we can make more and modify permissions of each quite easily.

Anonymous User - This is the general public. Someone who is not registered or not logged in. They will be able to see all content, but will not be able to make any changes to anything.

Authenticated User - This is anyone that has registered and logged in. We do not restrict who can register, but have reasonable security against spam-bots. These people can add comments on most things and can add (and edit) their own build thread.

Trusted member - This adds the ability to add content to the How-to Tech articles and the events calendar....perhaps other things as well. You can add it, and edit your own additions...but you still can't edit other people's stuff.

Paid Member - We aren't collecting club dues, so this one isn't used right now....but the infrastructure will be there should that change in the future.

Moderator - This adds the ability to add or edit any content, as well as block and ban users by name or IP.

Administrator - Has full access to the site including the ability to make template changes.

Here are some details on the different sections, where we stand with them, and where we are going.

Forums
In the future, I plan to integrate the forums into the Drupal format...but that will only happen when everything else is done and assuming I can transfer the information also (I refuse to start the boards over again). So in the mean time, the site has it's own registration. Please, please, please register with the same name you use on the forums (and hopefully the same email address). If you register a new name, then you will have two names registered once I blend them together.

How-to Tech articles
Fully functional...but may still get some formatting tweaks. Trusted Members and above can add a How-to article...feel free to start adding any tech articles you want. I have two of them there to give you an idea of how things will work. The form to add an article includes a full WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, so it should be similar to adding a post in the forums. You can upload images directly though. Let me know if you have any issues....I can either help you individually, or write some tutorials, or make changes to make it more user-friendly.

Project Cars
Here is where we will have some history on everyone's car. This is kind of like the "Construction Zone" at Pennocks. It's technically functional. Will definitely have some formatting tweaks, and may (probably will) have some changes in what fields are available. But, the database is functional. Although header fields may change, the main content will not...so feel free to add your project. Just be aware that you may have to edit it later to look pretty again. Anyone that has registered for the site can add their project. It uses the same WYSIWYG editor as the How-to articles.

Links
Links to other resources. Fully functional, but again they may get some formatting changes. Right now, Moderator or above can edit them using the WYSIWYG editor. Feel free to let me know if I am missing something important in the list.

Downloads/resources
Not yet functional. This will be a collection of resources such as manuals and wiring diagrams. I assume Moderator and above will be able to add or change them...but that kind of depends on how I end up implementing them.

Events Calendar
In theory, the groundwork for this is done, but the database isn't set up yet. So...not yet functional, and not yet determined how exactly it will work.

Photo/Video gallery
Not yet worked on. Really, not much thought put into it yet. Will probably work similar to the ones on the forum...but I don't see the need for two of them, so this may wait until just before I integrate the forums.

Things I need:
Banner pic. I currently have a photo from the Lincolnton gathering...and I am fine with it, but I am open to putting in a new one. Needs to be very wide to accommodate various screen widths.

Title graphics. Basically, the logo and/or "North Carolina Fiero Club". These could be integrated into the Banner pic, or float above it (like it is now). Needs to be a transparent gif if we want anything fancier than a single color text to float above the banner.

Content. It is hard to anticipate how to format the pages without knowing how people will build the content. This will be a symbiotic relationship where the members and administrators will work together to create a very dynamic website.

Some nicely written info about us to be displayed on the front page...replace the "welcome to the new site" crap.

Members of all levels. Simple...register. I am going to leave it mostly to Trinten and Chug to decide who is getting what permissions...but the version control and admin features are pretty robust, so I don't see why we can't trust people until they have proven otherwise.

Link back to the main page from the forums (this is aimed at you, Trinten). Can we change the main logo at the top of the page to aim back to ncfiero.com rather than the forum index? I can edit the config file manually...but it is probably safer if you use the control panel.

So...
I am open to constructive criticism. How data is being displayed is changing still. However, I am very receptive to ideas on how to change things to allow you to enter the needed data.
CowsPatoot

Re: The new website

Postby Chug » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm

There is a hemihead font ( example, http://www.1001freefonts.com/hemi_head_426.font ) that Trinten and I had talked about using before for the title font. I like the pic, maybe we can improve on it at one of the future meets.

I'm glad to see that there is an icon on the page tab in the browser!! Is there a way to get that in the address bar in the browser?

I suggest using the same title pic and text on the forum page also.

Do we want to create some kind of "brand" for NCFiero to use in the title and on t-shirts? Obviously we cant use something that is © or ™ or ® (ie Nike swoosh, Adidas 3 stripes)

Can you dim down the white text areas with something a little more gray, it kind of tones it down for nighttime reading?

BTW Love it!!!

Chug
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Postby CowsPatoot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 am

Chug...you have been upgraded to moderator. If you want full admin I will give it to you...but most of the additional abilities get real technical. If there is anything you want access to but don't have, let me know. Like I said above, the admin features are pretty robust...both for making changes and for controlling who can make them. I am still getting the permissions sorted out.

"Can you dim down the white text areas with something a little more gray, it kind of tones it down for nighttime reading?"
Done...but I might have made it too dark. As a moderator, you can adjust most coloring options also.

"Do we want to create some kind of "brand" for NCFiero to use in the title and on t-shirts? Obviously we cant use something that is © or ™ or ® (ie Nike swoosh, Adidas 3 stripes)"
I am all for it....but I am NOT a graphic artist. Colin....are you listening? Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

"I suggest using the same title pic and text on the forum page also."
I agree...but I don't have access to the admin page for the forums. I can modify them manually through FTP, but I think we are asking for trouble in the long term if I do that. That should be taken as a hint that I either need access, or need someone else to make the changes.

"I'm glad to see that there is an icon on the page tab in the browser!! Is there a way to get that in the address bar in the browser?"
Yes and no. That it is browser specific. It will work now for some, but Chrome and Firefox 13+ don't have that option built in. It will work in the Address Bar Drop Down List only for Firefox. Safari can only see it in the Address Bar and Bookmarks. And...ummm....I will have to figure out how to get that to work for the forums, too.

"There is a hemihead font ( example, http://www.1001freefonts.com/hemi_head_426.font ) that Trinten and I had talked about using before for the title font."
It will be done...but not tonight because it is time for bed.
CowsPatoot

Postby Chug » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:42 pm

"Can you dim down the white text areas with something a little more gray, it kind of tones it down for nighttime reading?"
Done...but I might have made it too dark. As a moderator, you can adjust most coloring options also.
Looks good to me

"I suggest using the same title pic and text on the forum page also."
I agree...but I don't have access to the admin page for the forums. I can modify them manually through FTP, but I think we are asking for trouble in the long term if I do that. That should be taken as a hint that I either need access, or need someone else to make the changes.
Trinten, if you are listining? Hook a brother up!!

"There is a hemihead font ( example, http://www.1001freefonts.com/hemi_head_426.font ) that Trinten and I had talked about using before for the title font."
It will be done...but not tonight because it is time for bed.

You the man!!
Chug

Postby Trinten » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Big thanks for working on this - I simply haven't had time (I'm working about 55 hours a week on average right now. This week and next are going to be closer to 70).
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby CowsPatoot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Ok...I have figured out how to integrate the boards into the site without moving the message data...but I need admin for the boards first (sorry to be so anxious for that).

To summarize...
I WAS going to essentially recreate the message boards in drupal, and convert the message board database to drupal. Basically, this would have created a new message board, but moved all the data (members and messages) from the old one to the new one. I was fearing this for several reasons that I won't go into details about (but most of your assumptions are accurate).

I'm GOING to put the message boards into the drupal wrapper and synchronize the member databases. With this, the boards will essentially be the same as they are now, but the dark red outer part and header (above the Control Panel, Faq, Members, etc buttons) will be replaced with the dark red outer and header of the main site. It will continue to be two separate databases, but they will be synchronized so that changes to one will change the other....and logging into one will log you into the other.
CowsPatoot

Postby Trinten » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.

You're setup as Admin for the forum

I backed up the boards - just in case. ;)
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby CowsPatoot » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 am

The phpbb code has been modified for integration. Obviously the standalone use of it is still working (as it was supposed to) so even if the rest of the integration goes badly, the backup plan still works. Woo hoo!

Please report new bugs ASAP...shouldn't be any, but if there are I want to deal with them while this is still fresh in my mind.

I will work on the main site side of the integration tomorrow night. Trinten...please back up the database again when you get home Friday. Either I don't have access to that option....or I am just blind and can't find it. I do have a full backup of the site files though.
CowsPatoot

Postby Trinten » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:55 am

Forum database backed up!

It's not a blatantly obvious option in the ACP - you'd think something that important would be...
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:45 am

i keep trying to create account but I am directed to a "The requested page can not be found message"
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby CowsPatoot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Hmmm...I might have damaged it last night without realizing it. If I did, the changes made today must have fixed the damage (and knowing what I was working on last night and today, that is entirely possible. It seems to work now. Let me know if you are still having trouble.
CowsPatoot

Postby Drew-py » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:35 am

I am good it allowed me to create my account and as requested I used the same name and passcode
Drew-py

Postby CowsPatoot » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 am

OK...as you can see, we are making progress on the site. Now it is time to narrow down the site map (how it is structured).

First...outside of the forums and photo/video gallery, I think we have all the sections up and working. Individual posts/articles/web pages can have photos uploaded in them...that part is already working. The photo/video gallery I am referring to is for general pics that don't belong elsewhere or for individual publicity. The plan is that when you upload a photo/video, you will be able to select what events or project cars (or other things) it is associated with...then when you go to the project car you will see a sidebar (like the calendar is) that will randomly scroll pics/video that is associated with the page you are on. You will then be able to click on it and scroll through the pics. This will be great for event pics, or artistic photos of your project, etc.

Now for the site-map plans...and this is where I am looking for feedback if I am out of line...or a simple Thumbs-Up if I am on the right track. The forums will get some big changes. As you can see from the content types I have already put in there, each one (How-to, Project Cars, etc) essentially acts like a forum section. You click on it, you see the individual posts (albeit in a custom display...I am still working on the style of those displays)...click on the post (individual project car for example), and it shows it like a thread where you have the main post and all the comments/replies following it. Currently, several sections of the forum are already taken up by the different content types, and I just have to import data to them. Much of this will require individual copy and paste to get the information moved since the format is different (for events, the forums just has all the info in the post...but the new format requires you to enter a date and location separately).

Advantages of using a content type rather than a forum: Searching and organizing. Along with the custom styled display, as I fit the options in, we will be able to organize them by viewer's choice of method....Events can be viewed by date of event, date posted/commented, type of event, etc....Tech discussion can be sorted by date posted/commented, area of car it focuses on, stock or modified, etc (and these categories can be adapted to our needs as we progress). Basically, anything that will be reviewed or searched for an extended period of time fits better as a content type than a forum section.

Forum sections work better for current discussion and conversation that will not be reviewed in the distant future. It will fall out of view and out of memory as new conversations happen. Still searchable, but not easily sortable beyond by time of post.

Here is how the continued migration is planned:

Menus will be tiered (pause the mouse on the main item and the sub-items show up...Parent menus are indicated with a -...sub-menus are below their parent with ----). The order of them is easily changed...I really haven't put much thought into that yet:

-Home - The front page. This will scroll important info such as alerts, or articles that we feel the need to promote.
-Tech and Discussion
----How-to - Technical instruction (not discussion). This is on the main menu right now and is comparable to PFF's FAQs&HowTos section.
----Tech discussion - covers all current Tech sections of the forum, but is sortable by category.
----Classifieds - The Mall. We aren't PFF, so we don't really get enough activity to need multiple sections. But, when you post something in the classifieds you will have to choose For Sale, Want to Buy, Looking to Trade, or Off-site Ad (like craigslist or Ebay)...and this will be displayed along with the normal thread info in the list.
----Vendor Feedback - Exactly what the current forum section is used for.
----Sponsors - This shows a billboard/advertisement for the Sponsor, and when you click on it you get their page where they can update, modify, post a content type created specifically for them.
----Forums - Classic forums with the following sections:
----/----Newbies
----/----General Fiero Chat (What do you think of this paint scheme? I passed a Fiero on I77, who was it? etc)
----/----General Non-Fiero Chat
----/----Club business (only viewable to club members...anything the public would see would be in an alert on the home page)
-Project Cars - exactly what it is now. Build threads. Comparable to the Construction Zone at PFF, but anyone can show off their build.
-Utilities and Resources
----VIN Decoder - currently functioning
----Speed Calculator - currently functioning
----Wiring Diagrams
----Manuals
----potential other sections
-Links - exactly what it seems...links to other off-site Fiero resources
-Events - The calendar already shows these, but this will provide a more familiar forum-like display that allows us to sort them by type (Show, Cruise, Gathering, Etc), date of event, date of post/comment, etc

As you can see, almost every section of the current forums have a comparable section (with different organization) in the new format. The one exception is the Race Track section. Most of the posts there could be rolled into events (which can be used to post other events you go to, not just events you are looking for other participation in). Then I propose we take care of LaFiera (also a Sponsor) by allowing his special content type to also be promoted to the front page allowing him to advertise his racing events in as public of a way as possible (as a Sponsor deserves).

I will be able to import data from the forums so that we don't loose current information...but the new sections have to be created first...and I need to switch people over to the new forums, then lock these so that they can't be posted to (but can be read) while I import the individual sections (and in some cases individual posts) to the compatible section of the new site. This will require individual SQL commands as opposed to a mass import tool. The server owner has already agreed to give me the access needed...but the act will take me a couple days. Ownership of posts should be preserved...but if you register for the new site after I have moved the data, it may cause me to run another command to restore ownership of your data.
CowsPatoot

Postby Trinten » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 am

I had fun with that "import" when we moved here, since the last hosting group wouldn't let me touch the DB at all.. that was a lot of manual cutting and pasting!!

Okay, so the new forum treats each section as a website, and each "topic" becomes it's own little website with a "comments" ability?

I'm just going off looking at the Project Car section and the "Tech and Discussion > How-to > Install an MSD Blaster Coil on an 84 Fiero"

Will it allow quoting? Reporting a comment? Any loss of function that the forum currently has that we should plan for? (deleting comments, merging threads, etc)?

Thanks for all your work on this!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Chug » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:04 pm

Ok, I was looking to add content to my project area and it looks like the "URL" or "HTML"code stuff that links to photobucket does not work in the forum. Do we have a place where we can upload some pictures to the site and link them to a forum post? Or can we get it fixed where we can use the "URL" link to offsite images in the forums?
Chug

Postby CowsPatoot » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:38 am

We do, Chug....I need to write a FAQ/instructional....but....

When you are entering your text, it should be in Filtered HTML mode (shown below the text field). This should give you all the text editing features above the text field. In those buttons, the image button is in the upper row...left icon in the furthest right group.

Press the icon....enter URL for off-site like photobucket, or press "Browse Server" to choose/upload a pic. Browse server should bring up another window....in that window, choose your photo, or the upload button is at the upper left. It will upload it into your own folder, but you CAN view other folders if you are looking to re-post someone else's pic. Once you have selected the pic, press the "Insert File" button.

Vince...I am working on answers to your questions. I agree we need a method for quoting, and hadn't considered that prior to now. Merging threads....how does the system do that? Have you ever used that feature?

Features can be added at any time...but obviously we want it as fully functional as possible right away. Keep in mind, this IS a learning experience for me. IMHO, I am willing to delay certain details to get a fully integrated site as long as I know I can get them added later.
CowsPatoot

Postby Trinten » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Yes I've used the merge threads feature before. It does just what it sounds like, it takes all the posts from two threads and laces them together by date of post. This same feature can also be used to move a post from one thread to another, or even a thread from one forum section to another.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Savet » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 pm

I figured I should weigh in on this since I have been helping Greg in some of the Drupal stuff, and encouraging him to migrate towards dedicated content types wherever possible.

Long term, yes, merging will still be an option, and you aren't getting rid of the discussion forums completely, merely streamlining them into actual discussions rather than documenting years of work in un-filterable, barely categorized, collections of posts which may or may not be titled well.  I don't mean to downplay forums, they are great for discussions, but it is too easy to either be too generic or too granular, and this hinders the user experience, which makes it harder to find things...bringing us back to the need to merge threads.

By separating the content items from the discussions, the content will be more accessible to new users, and as a result, they will be less likely to post duplicate information.  The necessity of merging is largely a symptom of throwing too much into forums. Historically, this made sense, but we now have better mechanisms to collect and organize information.

The result of this change is that entire categories of technical how-to topics can be linked to from off-site, giving users the ability to share information sorted and filtered by any category you can imagine.  This not only sets your site up as a preferred reference site for knowledge, but also as the preferred place to document such knowledge because of its ease-of-access.
Savet

Postby Trinten » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but in my past experience, people aren't very good at using the search function on most forums (or the search isn't that great - which is why I often use Google's "Site: " feature to search other forums for stuff).

Hopefully it will keep duplicates down and users will like it!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Savet » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 pm

It's good that you are open minded. Greg is still learning Drupal, but the important thing to remember is that any functionality you can imagine can be built into the site as a whole, and you will be amazed once he gets some of the contextual filtering in place to display custom content lists. I've also been very impressed with the searchability of Drupal sites. A lot of that goes back to the ability to add custom categorization, which means you can find an article on an engine rebuild, and then click a link and see all of the other engine rebuild content. As you guys get things refined, you can also search the engine rebuild content by date, engine type, or whatever categorization you guys decide on.
Savet

Postby Chug » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 am

I know that you guys are still working on this and I greatly appreciate the effort that you guys are putting into this.

I noticed something, there isn't any way to PM someone in the new site/forum like the old.

I do like the colors and the "Branding" that has been done for the banner!!

Kudos!!

Chug
Chug

Postby Trinten » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Ohhh,

Good catch Chug, yeah, we definitely need a PM function.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:57 pm

we are evolving quite nicely thanks to all your hours of work, especially considering this is all after a full day of work and responsibilities.
Drew-py

Postby Savet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:44 pm

Greg deserves the credit for all the work. I'm just steering him in the right direction when he encounters a technical hurdle. To answer the above question, yes, member to member messaging will be implemented shortly.
Savet

Postby Drew-py » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:34 am

what am I doing wrong I would like to know why now when I link a photo from Photobucket to the new site it shows the link not the actual picture. I was able to do it before so is this a new glitch that has happened with all the changing going on?
I have tried the way discussed earlier from Chug and answered by Cowspatoot the URL doesn't put the picture in just a icon showing that a picture should be there. The other, search browser and upload, says my picture is to big. I know I am not the most computer savvy but I do try to figure it out first.
Drew-py

Next

Return to Board Alerts