84 Indy #945

Got a build planned out that you want to document or showcase? This is the place.

84 Indy #945

Postby Chug » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm

What she looked like when I bought her

After spending a weekend giving her a good scrubbing

and some new goodies

I'm not planning to do too much with her but making some adjustments that the factory should have made
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Re: 84 Indy #945

Postby Drew-py » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:33 pm

The only thing to do to an Indy is keep it clean and show it off. Glad you got Your "goal" car, I know how that feels thanks to you discovering mine and letting me know of it.
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby Chug » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Adding some white gauges to the Indy. I have them complete, I'll get a picture later. I think these cars should have come with white gauges, I mean come on its a white car with red/gray interior
Chug

Postby Red86GT » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm

I agree and those gauges are looking great!
Red86GT

Postby Thaidon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:09 pm

I definitely think they will look better and agree that they should have thought to used them to begin with. Of course it was probably taboo to use something like that then; same as euro tail-lights
You can't make stupid beautiful...
Thaidon

Postby Chug » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Got the gauges put together, I think it looks pretty good!!

Chug

Postby Red86GT » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Very Nice! 8-)
Red86GT

Postby Chug » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:45 pm

So I have this problem with my sunroof clip on the drivers side

So, to fix there are 2 rivets that will need to be drilled out from the car and the part

I used a 1/4" to drill the head off the rivet but you will need to use a 1/8" bit to do the drilling and a punch to clear the hole

After that I just used 1/8" by 3/8" steel rivets to reinstall the part (sorry no pics of that we were in a hurry to get out cruising)
Chug

Postby Chug » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Fix number 2 for the weekend, with a little help from directions that I found at http://www.fierostore.com .

So I have been noticing that my car would fog up in the inside the car. The other day I noticed that the seats were soaked, that was enough, I had to do something. So here it goes.
This area is what seems to be the start of the problem. It seems that GM thought it was a good idea to glue the weather seal down in the corners and put no drains in.

I removed the glue substance from the corner of the seal and the roof

Drilled a 3/8" hole in the corner of the roof panel only

You can see here how the hole is tucked under the seal to drain the water off. Now we wait and see if it leaks again. If not the headliner might be next on the repair list.
Chug

Postby Trinten » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 pm

nice job with that!

If you do get a headliner, I ordered the FieroStore one with the hardbacked panel, very nice quality. You do need to cut the fabric and fold it back for your sunroof, but if done properly (which I wish mine was), it looks flawless.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Red86GT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Great pics and tutorial! Thanks!
Red86GT

Postby Chug » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Got a few things for Christmas, so I figured that I would share what I got.

Reproduction Window Sticker from http://www.PHS-online.com

Pace Car Package from http://www.FieroPacecar.com

NOS Nose Emblem to replace the bent one on the car after paint

Press Release, build documentation and dealer order form from http://www.PHS-online.com

Windshield banner from http://www.fierosails.com

All i need before I go to paint is the trunk decal and the door decals
Chug

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 am

Well some of you may know this but I'll tell it anyway. Back in Aug I picked up a 96 Impala SS for a sweet deal, lots of new parts. The problem is none of them were in the car, to include the engine. I spent 8 weeks reassembling the car and now its ready to go. So when I bought the car I planned to flip it for some extra cash. A friend of mine wanted the car but didn't have the cash butttt............... has a particular set of skills that I need. So long story short I'm getting a couple of mu rides painted!!! The first has been dropped off last night, the 08 Grand Prix GXP, for a touch up and freshen up on her dark gray metallic coat. Once the wife's car comes back it will be time to put the Indy under the knife. I know my Indy looks pretty good but I can't continue to bleach the mildew out of the paint, it won't take too much more of that. I still have a couple things to get to complete the car. I still need the Indy deck lid decal and the Pace Car door logos. My new dew wipes came on wednesday so I'll be putting them in next weekend.

This weekend I'll be taking apart Don's car (Drew-py knows this car) for a subframe swap and some new parts, I'll try to get pictures up for it.

Stay tuned!!!!!
Chug

Postby Chug » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Well due to some unforeseen circumstances the repair on my friend Don's car didn't happen, had to reschedule.

In the mean time I have replaced the dew wipes on the Indy and on BIL's car. It was a little tedious but only took about 6hr to do both cars. Hear are some pics. We did this with some help from Pennocks.

Before

After

I just did the outers the inners were ok but these new dew wipes are awesome. they are really tight the first day but after that they are awesome.
Chug

Postby Chug » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:05 pm

For those of you wondering why I'm painting such a good looking car, here are some pics of why

The gray spots do not wipe off, this is after a fresh bleach wash. The scratches you might be able to see, they are not from grainy pictures that is what the paint looks like. She is off to the painter hop to have her back real soon. Hopefully I can have the decals all re-installed by Chugfest.
Chug

Postby Chug » Tue May 05, 2015 8:16 pm

Whoops, damn, I guess I'm slipping a bit here.
Well the car has been painted and looks great
Here is one of the progress
I'll have to locate the rest
Chug

Postby Chug » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 am

WOW I am terrible at updating this thread. There has been a bunch of work going on on the Indy. I have been pretty heavy into a, I wouldn't call it a restoration, but more like a refresh and repair and modification. The car has been finished painted and I have been touching up some of the chassis. I have installed a new battery box, I removed the roof panel and had it repainted, repaired some of the sunroof track mounting and had the windshield replaced. I got another 84 engine cradle that I just got back from the powder coating. I have painted the headlight areas and replaced the front bumper due to some previous damage. I have removed all the interior for some sound deading and to inspect the chassis for any needed repairs.

Here is the finished paint

The unfortunate part is the painter chose the incorrect white. This white is a little more brilliant/white and I like it. It just makes for a bit of an issue tor touch-ups.

I will try to get more pictures up of the progress soon

I do have a request, if anyone has one of the areo bumper air dam supports, I am in desperate need of one *pictured below*
Chug

Postby Chug » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 am

I have the engine all painted up. I do have some of the accessories installed. I did get delayed a little doing a 3800sc2 swap into Bil's car. I'll be making progress soon so stay tuned
Chug

Postby Chug » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:53 am

I was able to locate all the front bumper components that I was in need of. I'm pretty close to having everything that I need to reassemble the car I just need a good weekend to get to it.
Chug

Return to Builds