thought it was a 2.8 when purchased, its a 3.4!

Got a build planned out that you want to document or showcase? This is the place.

thought it was a 2.8 when purchased, its a 3.4!

Postby dgsmooth » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:07 pm

howdy all, awsome site/forum here. well i'm a new fiero owner, just picked up a 86 gt for next to nothing as it had a bad engine knock/tick, which turned out to be a rod bearing. interesting part is that as i tore this engine apart and started measuring things to order parts, i found out its not a 2.8, but a 3.4. had the red 'fiero' upper intake plunum and everything so i never even asked. anyways my question is when a 3.4 has been put in place of a 2.8, where does the 2.8 end and the 3.4 begin? i know every conversion can be done differently, but typically speaking, would the computer and harness be fom the 2.8 still? what would need to be changed to put a 3.4 in place of the 2.8....would the intake have to be changed (ths one had the red 2.8 upper part at least)... would injectors ahve been changed, or would the 2.8 ones work? the cam had 4 failed lobed and that metal debris got into all bearings. luckily crank and pistons still in good shape, so i'm putting in all new bearings, a hone with new rings, new cam and lifters. i've ordered all that based on 3.4 an by size so thats all fine, but what led me down this question is the oil pressure sensor was broken off, so that got me asking wether i'd order the stock 2.8 fiero oil pressure sensor or order one from a 3.4? (or they might be the same). my guess would be the block, crank, pistons and rods, and heads would all be 3.4, then intake and everything else 2.8....i'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade so automotive/gas type intake systems not really my field of expertise. anybody who's savy with that stuff or has done a 3.4 conversion, i'd really appreciate a little advice or whatver insight anybody could throw at me. thanks to all and cheers for now.
dgsmooth

Re: thought it was a 2.8 when purchased, its a 3.4!

Postby Chug » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:41 pm

A 3.4 is almost a direct swap for the 2.8. All you need to do to put one in place of a 2.8 is relocate the starter. As for where the 2.8 ends and the 3.4 begins is kind of an open ended question. I would speculate that the previous owner put in a long block from a camaro or firebird. The onlu Fiero specific parts that need to be put onto a 3.4 is the intake system.. if you are looking for rebuild parts I would suggest to get all parts for a 94 camaro 3.4 and you should be set.
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Return to Builds