No start, No crank, No click, No nothing....But Did Fix it!!

No start, No crank, No click, No nothing....But Did Fix it!!

Postby Red86GT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:13 pm

I just had a no start no crank with odd symptoms....to me. In hindsight an experienced mechanic would have realized right away what it was.

It started when I reversed in the drive way and turned on the AC....the car cut off. Got it running then fine. I had just replaced the starter as it went bad so I knew it wasn't that but still tested it. I ended up changing the key lock, the ignition switch, the ICM and the coil even though everything tested good. I figured they had never been changed so why not. Well the ICM has and the coil but not the key lock cylinder and the ignition switch.

**BY the way you have to get the adjustment just right on the ignition switch or it wont connect to start up the car when you hit the start position on the key.**

Anyway.....still no start no crank....plus I was losing things at the dash in the number 2 position with the key. Plus the doors would not lock/unlock and trying would cut off everything that was working. After forum visits to read post for every fiero group on the planet I deduced it was a short. I have not had enough shorts or bad grounds to immediately realize that was it. I could have fixed this is 5 minutes with a wire brush rather than the many days it ended up taking.

I had visually checked every ground but did not take the three off that are stacked under the c5oo block. So a week plus later with a lot of swearing and sweating I went thru everything again but decided to actually take the grounds off. The very bottom ground of the stack was just ever so slightly corroded that it caused the problem. A quick wire brushing and boom car started strong. I could not see the issue just with a visual check.

Lesson learned...always FULLY check grounds with electrical issues.
Red86GT

Return to Electrical