Is this a bad crankshaft seal?

Is this a bad crankshaft seal?

Postby Red86GT » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

I have a 1986 3.4 5 speed GT. I have a had a leak for a while. I thought it was a thermostat housing gasket leak because the residue on the ground was thin and I only saw a little when I parked. It has became much thicker and I realized it was an oil leak all along. I use liquid-moly oil (I love that sutff) which has a thin look to it so I mistook it for dirty coolant.

Anyway I cleaned as much as I could to see if it was a timing chain cover leak but I could not tell for sure though it did reveal the oil slinging onto the freshly cleaned AC comp and DR tensioner thus making me realize it was a driving leak with the HB slinging the oil out and not a sitting gravity leak plus my oil is down to the add mark.

Much of the high up oil residue on the motor is from a valve cover leak I fixed.

I have read on other posts that sometimes the keyhole will allow oil to pass by if it is not sealed with a bit of RTV but this seems to be more than that?

Am I correct in that the seal is bad? I took pics before I cleaned it up to see if might leaking somewhere else and to really check the water pump seal and timing chain cover.

Close up of seal: (click on icon, it is a tall skinny pic)

Seal and surrounding build up:

Drip off HB and overall residue

Close up of oil drip off HB

Sling on to components:

Also:
If I need to change the seal it would need to be a 3.4 seal not a Fiero 2.8?

And can I start the car like this to see if the leak is from the seal?

Update: 9-11-15

I read a bit more and went back to look at the HB. I found a groove on the shaft. Could this be why it leaked?
Red86GT

Re: Is this a bad crankshaft seal?

Postby Chug » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:20 pm

It shure could be the reason for the leak. If you go to the parts store and get the "sleeve and seal" kit, it comes with a sleeve that goes over the HB snout and a seal to fit
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Re: Is this a bad crankshaft seal?

Postby Red86GT » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:56 pm

I was gonna post pics of the repair but of course I had to get it done and car running ASAP. :roll:

Anyway, I ordered a repair sleeve and new seal. replaced seal then tap on sleeve. It works prefect with no more leak. Beats having to get a new HB.

It was very easy and took more time to get to HB and put everything back on than to do the seal and sleeve.
Red86GT

Return to Troubleshooting