Trinten's "MMTS" build

Got a build planned out that you want to document or showcase? This is the place.

Re: Trinten's "MMTS" build

Postby Trinten » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Gauges, gauges, gauges...

Yes, I like digital gauges. I think the digital gauges in my town car are the best thing ever, and if/when I replace it with a newer town car, I will be finding a way to swap in my digital dash!

Which brings me to my Fiero! There are a handful of OEM digital dashes out there that people have figured out how to wire in, and then there's a few aftermarkets providers, and a few custom-for-the-Fiero ones that were out there...

Up until recently, my plan was to try to find someone that would be willing to tackle how to get the Nissan Cima Y32 digital dash ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Jj5MofE2k ) to play nice with my 411 PCM and Dakota Digital speedometer adapter. But I didn't like the green, especially since most everything else is lit in the Fiero in red. Then I saw this one -

And I thought that was cool, but from reading the thread of the guy who swapped it into his car, he didn't mention what it came out of... and the folks in the thread were more interested in his suspension setup and wheels to ask anything about the dash (about 5 pages more interested...)

But lo! The Gods of Persistent Internet Searching showed me the way with these!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1NfLbvS8I

"Drift Digital" gauges. AND THEY COME IN RED!
http://www.bespoke-performance-parts.eu ... auges.html

So now, when I get to doing my interior, I know what gauges I'm going to have to have my dash fitted with and wired up for.
I'll probably get their voltage and oil pressure ones as well, and get the A-pillar pods to install them into, and get rid of the OEM units I have, to keep a unified look. Plus they make gauges for EVERYTHING.

Maybe I will go with the blue. But the red is looking pretty sweet.

Woot! I'm a happy guy.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:55 pm

They do look real nice and they offer a gauge for every system but fuel pressure. Mayhem says"Hi I am the pin that is looking at your balloon", did you notice the price is in euros which are worth much more than the US dollar, just a budgeting factory no real hurdle there
87 GT 3800 II SC, 07 GXP, 91 GMC Syclone #2811
Drew-py

Postby Trinten » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey man!

Yes, I noticed it was in Euros... but hell, if I was worried about expense, I would have gone the junkyard 3800 route to start with. ;)

You are right! No fuel pressure... right now the only fuel pressure gauge I have is in the engine compartment (which came in handy Saturday when I popped a fuse and couldn't figure out why the engine sputtered to a stop).

That would stink, having all those nice matching gauges... and one that didn't match. Hmm. I wonder if they make one, just not carried by that supplier. But having one tucked away not-matching readout wouldn't be too bad if I couldn't. Put it down low at the edge of the bottom of the dash or something.

Maybe try to get the readout done in a similar colored LED, regardless of which color I go with.
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, 355 cubic inch small block Chevy putting down 371 HP and 381 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, with more to come!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 pm

or just make it stick out and say because I wanted too thats why. Did I see a pic of your new dyno sheet somewhere or am I just seeing things?
Drew-py

Postby Trinten » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:37 pm

There is one that Guru had done when he was tuning the car. I'm waiting for an opportunity to get to the dyno place out here when the humidity and temps are about the same as when I had my best pulls with the carb.

The place Guru took it, it was showing a little less power on both sides, and I know that different dynos can sometimes put out different results (another car forum I was on, this was a huge point of argument years ago).

By going back to the same dyno, I'll have an apples-to-apples comparison to see if I picked anything up with the mod (besides much easier starting, and the car not dying out when the engine is still cold!)
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:28 am

great thinking about the dyno machines each one could easily produce different numbers, now if using different brand I.E. Dyno Jet vs. Mustang Dyno the numbers are really off. If with Mustang Dyno the tuner doesn't input the numbers correctly and accurately you could have a big difference for the same car on same rollers on same day. However if the tuner puts all parameters in correctly you will get the most accurate numbers. Most tuners dont go through all that effort and leave it on default settings which is why Mustang Dynos tend to read lower than others.
Drew-py

Update on radio!

Postby Trinten » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Okay, so I figured out what the issue was with the fascia and the rest of the stuff.

The two lower guide holes for the screws were (are) hitting the corners of the Humount bezel. I was able to put a little flex on it and fit it on there, however the holes for the fascia do not line up now. Good news is that the two tension retaining clips on the fascia, and the tension from the guides pressing on the side of the Humount are holding it snuggly in place.

I also soldered the two adapters together last night, and wired the Humount's LED lights to the main Ground and the 12v Ignition on wire.... but they didn't light up.

I made the assumption that the white wire with the small piece of red banding on it was the negative (since usually it's the negative wires that are a solid color w/ a stripe), but I might have this backwards. The good news is, in anticipation of this possibility, I did not solder the wire extensions I put to the LED leads. I just did the "Western union" twist on them (like I do before I solder), and then taped them.

Since Autofair is next weekend, I don't feel like taking it all apart again just to flip those wires, but I did leave the smoked plexi out, so the "Fiero GT" is a nice contrasting white against the black bezel. So it looks good enough for now.

Next project before autofair is to split the juice that's powering the fuel pump and the water pump to their own fuses. Right now those two things are running off their own relays, but the same fuse. I have everything I should need to do the split, just need to take the time to cut-and-splice. FieroGuru did a great job of soldering/heat shrinking everything on this wiring panel, but I'm a little hesitant to try to get my iron in there, so for this I'm going to use crimping butt connectors.

Then I'm going to drag the vacuum out there and give the interior a good vacuuming and cleaning... then do what I can to clean the outside (which looks terrible, but paint is always last!)
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:23 pm

As Drewpy correctly pointed out, the Drift gauges I was looking at do not make a fuel pressure gauge...

When looking at other gauges on youtube, I ran across a video talking about "Prosport" gauges, and at first I thought he had mislabeled his video, because they looked very similar to the Drift...

Not only are they very similar, but they also come in red (or blue)... and have the Fuel Pressure gauge.... and are cheaper! So... yay!
Thank you Drewpy, and thank you youtube :lol:

http://prosportgauges.com/evo-series-Red-and-Blue.aspx

Of course... they don't make a speedometer or tachometer... good thing Drift does... and they're so similar.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Chug » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Have you looked into something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Or4c1a59w I really like this idea, this is only one example i'm sure there's more.
Yes it can be done, it just depends on how deep your wallet is!
Chug

Postby Trinten » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Yes! I did see that last year, but for the life of me I haven't found any vendors that sold it yet. I even went to the manufacturers website, and found precious little more than the link to that very same YouTube video.

If that is readily available by the time I'm ready to do my interior, I'll jump on it. I really did like it, and the customizing ability.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Chug » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm

I haven't looked too much but I'm sure there are some other manufacturers that make something like that.
Chug

Today's adventure

Postby Trinten » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:42 pm

So I am (was?) going to AutoFair tomorrow - in preparation for that, I finished up something with the interior, then, in the interest of saving time, took it to Autobell to have it washed. Results? 27 dollars later I have a moderately clean car (well vacuumed though), and find my antennae was snapped off. They're not liable, apparently.

So looks like I'll be doing FieroGuru's fenderwell antennae mod sooner than I planned.

On the way home, one of the clips holding the shifter cable popped off.... of course it's not the clib I could try to work on right there, it was the one under the window switches. I manipulate the transmission directly (thanks again to Fiero Guru) to get it into the proper gear and drive the last half-mile home. That went back on with only a little trouble.

I then find out the guy I was supposed to be meeting up with to go with his group to AutoFair can't make it. He gives me the number of the person organizing the clubs appearance at AutoFair... haven't been able to connect with him yet.

Really sucks, I wanted to have it ready for AutoFair this yet.

In the Spring, maybe I can get the guys that organize RFTH's to agree to put together an event for the folks that normally do that run to go club up for AutoFair. That'd be cool.

Fingers crossed I hear back from this guy tonight.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Well I did make it to AutoFair!

The folks from the GP Club were really nice folks. I (would have) won the "fan favorite" trophy if they had it this year, the Fiero got a ton of attention and people stopping by the tent to ask questions about it.

Also - I think I've dropped my phone one too many times, I can't get it to connect via USB (it'll charge, but no data). I haven't taken it out of the otter box yet to see what kind of memory card it has in it to get the pictures of my stereo setup off of it yet.

On the downside, I had realized that the drain spout for my radiator was open a tiny bit (very, very slow drip). So after the engine was hot and I drove it for a while, I checked the radiator overflow tank to make sure I had enough radiator fluid.... and noticed this "scum" sitting on top of the fluid. It almost looks like oil. I kept dipping paper towels into it to try to get it out, got a lot of it out, but not all of it.

My oil has not changed colors though (it's not milky or anything), so I don't think I have a head seal issue. So not sure where this stuff came from. Any thoughts welcome, or else I'll just have the system drained and flushed - but if there's a problem, I definitely want to fix it first!
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Chug » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm glad you made it out there. Not sure I'll make it for a couple years, my car is getting ready for a rebuild. After that it will be ready for anything!!
Chug

Postby Trinten » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:19 pm

Well you could always take one of your other cars! :)
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Chug » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Interior on the GP isn't good, and I have to get the truck road worthy first
Chug

Postby Drew-py » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 pm

I bet you are really happy to be able to drive it again after such a long time with out it. Glad to see your efforts have paid off
Drew-py

Postby Trinten » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Yeah it is really nice. Still a few oddities to fix, but that's a long term thing.

And I really didn't put much "effort" in, really I just had to be patient and give money to the right people. I definitely don't like taking credit where it's not due, but I will say that I do well with showing patience! (usually).
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Here's the pic of my humount flushmount in place -- minus the corner screws (until I take it out to trim it up).

Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

On the way home from chugfest I noticed an odd resonance that wasn't there before. I figured maybe an exhaust coupling had come loose, so I jacked the car up today and slid under there, everything looks good and tight (to the best of my ability to tell) -- unfortunately, it looks like I might need another passenger side axle.

I noticed an odd "bead" of goo on the oil pan, and when I wiped it off, I recognized it immediately as the axle grease. I'm guessing there's a small tear somewhere in the joint boot, and it's slinging the grease out at speed. This obviously is not something that I can roll with long term, don't want those bearings to lock up.

Also means I should probably cancel my spot at Pro Dyno, talk about the worst possible time for the axle to lock up or snap.

Worst part - is that none of the after market axles are the correct length. In stock configurations, they usually work, but in my case, as FieroGuru discovered, it only took the aftermarket axle to be 1/2" short for it to keep popping out of the transmission under power.

So at this point, it looks like I'm going to have to get a new boot and bearing grease, and see if I can get CowsPatoot to help me rebuild/replace it.

If not, I'll go with the Drive Shaft Shop axles -- after I confirm that the axle length is going to be the correct 39 3/8th when compressed. I'm not going to go with their highest level axles, I really don't want make the transmission the weak point again.

Oh, I'm also going to get longer sleeves for my coil overs, so I can bring the back of the care up a bit more.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Drew-py » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:00 pm

for what ever reason all your 1st page pictures are not displaying anymore. I noticed this when I was doing a breeze through looking for your coil-over portion. Sorry to hear about your boot tear/hole causing axle grease to sling out.
Drew-py

Postby Trinten » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 am

Thanks Drewpy,

Yeah, most of those pictures /were/ on webshots before they switched platforms. They claimed they notified all users about the change and purging photos.... but I didn't get any such email.

Unfortunately, I did not have copies of all the pics, some of them were uploaded by other folks who worked on the Fiero.

I've asked people for copies of the pics if they had them, but still haven't received them.
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Jncomutt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:48 am

If you can find the pin hole where the grease is leaking from the boot, clean it well and put some rtv over it. It will be fine. I did this on my dd gtp and it's been like this for over a year. You may wish to change it later for peace of mind, but it will work.
Jncomutt

Postby Trinten » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:10 am

Thank you for the tip!! I will definitely keep that in mind for next time.

Last week I had the Fiero out at CowsPatoot's place, we got the axle off and bought new boots from O'Reilly, manufacturer was Precision, and that's exactly what they were. The grease we used was Lucas Red n Tacky #2. It didn't take nearly as much as originally thought to repack the bearings and fill up the boots some.

It was a good thing we went through it, we discovered that the brake line was rubbing (gently) against the back of the tire, so the clear coating they put over the stainless steel hose had been rubbed off in one little area.

I do have a mysterious on-again-off-again sound that we need to chase down now, best thing I can describe it as is if a small piece of metal was caught between the brake pad and the rotor, and was making a high pitched metal grinding sound. However, use of the brakes does not impact it,and it comes and goes. It disappeared after a few miles of driving, then it came back after a gentle right turn (which was made after a pretty aggressive left turn).

So, yeah, my skittishness about the axle popping out or something going wrong with the brakes, or if there is something critical rubbing on something that shouldn't be. So it's parked for now till I get the wheel taken off and hopefully the problem will be obvious enough for my amateur skills to detect. :)
(or, you know, till I can bribe CowsPatoot to come out here to look at it. But with the colder weather going on... I'm okay with it sitting for the winter)
Trinten
Site Admin

Postby Trinten » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:16 pm

The good news was that the sound was the brake dust shield scratching the edges. So easy fix there!

Next thing was it was strangely burning up a lot of oil, and the engine resonance/pulsing was different, and it just wasn't behaving right under 1500 RPM. Discovered today that one of my rocker studs snapped. It doesn't look like it was from piston to valve contact, so, looks like it might have just been a defect. The pushrod is still perfectly straight, thankfully.

So looks like I lucked out and dodged a bullet.

Also found out that the solenoid that pops my trunk is dead. So... need to get another one of those, or the power trunk release is ... well, not a power trunk release!
Trinten
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Builds